The purpose of this blog is to report on winter climbing conditions in Snowdonia, to keep you lot who like nothing better than climbing ice, snow, frozen turf etc in ridiculously low temps informed!! As well as it being a record of some of my own winter climbing adventures. Feel free to email me any of your own conditions reports & photos you have & I will post them here. The more info on winter conditions the better! email:
andymountains@googlemail.com

Saturday 6 March 2010

Pinnacle Gully & Avalanche Gully (by Carl)




(Email from Carl)

Hi Andy

I went out yesterday to Craig y Ysfa, was at the route for half 8 trying to beat the sun, Pinnacle gully was pretty soft in places with interesting steps in the lower sections, which were a little less complete after I knocked snow off! I was up there earlier in the week on Avalanche gully which was nice with a couple of icy steps,top has a dodgy looking cornice though so put some gear in before topping out. It was ok and I looked at it today and it hadn't moved. Approach from Conwy side, its nice in there, never been up there before until this week. Came back down today over Penllythrig. I fancy that amphitheatre buttress, there's snow on the top half and the bottom is bare, good alpine practice. May be better really early when snow is firm though.

Carl

Top pic: Pinnacle Gully (friday)
Middle pic: Crag earlier in week
Bottom pic: Top of Avalanche Gully earlier in week

No comments:

Post a Comment