The purpose of this blog is to report on winter climbing conditions in Snowdonia, to keep you lot who like nothing better than climbing ice, snow, frozen turf etc in ridiculously low temps informed!! As well as it being a record of some of my own winter climbing adventures. Feel free to email me any of your own conditions reports & photos you have & I will post them here. The more info on winter conditions the better! email:
andymountains@googlemail.com

Wednesday 2 June 2010

The Roaches, Western Grit





Today was my first experience of climbing on grit at The Roaches in the Peak District. Greg who I met via the MLTA forum, knows the area well, and arranged to show me a few classic routes.
We headed to Roaches-Upper in blazing sunshine. Firstly I lead Right Route (V-Diff) which is listed as 2 pitches in the guidebook, but we opted to do in one pitch.
Next on our list was the classic Black & Tans (S 4a), where Greg lead the first pitch & I lead the second.
We next moved over to the Wombat Area where Greg led the slabby Rooster (V-Diff) & then I lead Chicken Run (HVD)
It was a good afternoons climbing, and I will definetly be back there soon!

Pic 1: Black & Tans area on Roaches-Upper. Unknown climbers on Saul's Crack
Pic 2: Looking down on Greg from the top of Right Route
Pic 3: Greg pulling up at the top of Rooster
Pic 3: Unknown climber on Central Route

1 comment: